Jumbie Jam Steel Pan – Desktop – grey
£145.00 exc VAT
- Instruments 1
- Players 1
- Stock: 20
- An entertaining beginners' steel pan designed for children
- Tabletop stand version - easy to play on any flat surface
- Authentic Caribbean tone and excellent intonation
- Pan diameter 40cm and skirt depth 6.5cm
- Eight labelled notes cover a range of an octave from G4-G5
- Supplied with mallets and basic beginners' guide leaflet
The Jumbie Jam is by far the best quality and most authentic sounding beginners’ steel pan on the market. It’s the perfect gift to encourage classes of young children to make music together and explore the sounds of the Caribbean.
It has also become popular with older and more advanced musicians looking to add a tropical twist to their lives. It’s named after the Jumbie, a mischievous spirit in Trinidadian folklore. The pan itself is made from premium steel and built to Panyard’s exact specification to ensure perfect intonation and playing ease.
Each pan measures 40cm across and has a 6.5cm shallow skirt. This tabletop version features a small collapsible stand suitable for use on any flat surface. For the standalone model see JJ1058-BL.
The surface features eight labelled notes spanning a major scale from G4-G5. The beginners’ guide leaflet includes 3 songs written in letter grids, along with helpful information on steel pan care and playing techniques. There are also several further books available, each including a CD of backing tracks for classroom playalong.
Often incorrectly referred to as steel drums, the whole instrument vibrates to make a pan’s characteristic Caribbean sound which means they are properly classified as ‘idiophones’, the same family as cymbals. Colours available: – Blue – Grey (steel) – Pink – Purple
You do not have to know how to read music to play the Jumbie Jam Steel Pan, as the notes on the drum and song books are marked by the note letter. Consequently any level player can enjoy immediate success even if they don’t know how to read music.
There are a number of song books available that include a Play-Along CD, allowing the player to play on their own, or jam with the band. The books also include multiple parts providing material to create a Jumbie Jam band or can be played with other instruments promoting family music making.
Advantages for pupils;
- It’s a new, exciting instrument with ‘street cred’
- Students can play a Jumbie Jam Steel Pan without any prior instrumental skills
- It gives instant success and satisfaction
- Pupils get to the music quickly as the notes are labelled with matching sheet music
- Students will have total focus using their right and left brain
- An ‘active’ pupil who may struggle in other areas will learn how to focus having the freedom to move while playing the Jumbie Jam Steel Pan
Special Needs notes;
- Simple and durable design
- No breathing control issues
- No difficult and awkward fingerings to negotiate
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination as well as motor skills
- Easy to Play – giving an immediate feeling of success
- Height adjustable stand built to table top mode for wheelchair accessibility
- Inclusive as special needs pupils can play the Jumbie Jam Steel Pan with the other students