Caribbean Steel Pan Book – Audio Support
£0.00 exc VAT
- Stock: 100
- Free downloads of audio recordings of all the pieces in Andy Gleadhill's Caribbean Steel Pan Book.
- Professionally produced performances
- Download individual files or single zip file
Please Note: THERE’S NO NEED TO PUT THIS PRODUCT IN THE BASKET – JUST CLICK ON THE DOCUMENTATION SECTION BELOW TO SHOW THE FILES AND THEN CLICK ON A FILENAME TO DOWNLOAD IT.
The Caribbean Steel Pan Book, written by educator and professional percussionist Andy Gleadhill, shows generalist teachers how to teach Steel Pans in a class setting.
Below to the left you can play the audio tracks that accompany Andy Gleadhill’s Caribbean Steel Pan Book and you can also download them in the “Documentation” section further down below – just click on the section name to show the content. The recordings are of professionally produced performances of all the Caribbean Steel Pan tunes in the book. We recommend that you listen to the tunes either through headphones or good quality speakers as laptop and small loudspeakers will struggle to reproduce the lower frequencies and may sound rather “tinny”.
Although all of the tunes and exercises in the book can be played on any Steel Pan instrument, Andy focuses on the Jumbie Jam Steel Pan and its use in an educational setting. Using the same approach that has so successfully helped hundreds of generalist teachers to introduce African Drumming, Indonesian Gamelan, Brazilian Samba and other World Music styles in classrooms all over the UK, Andy shows you the basic techniques, warm-up exercises and covers all the elements of music whilst helping you and the class progress rapidly through 10 weekly lessons, to the point that the class can perform a range of Steel Pan pieces.
A selection of video clips are available online that further support teacher and pupils by giving practical demonstrations of the techniques and pieces covered in the Guide. Please visit our Steel Pans Online Support Playlist.
You may be interested in our Caribbean Steel Pan – Video Support page.
The Drums for Schools collaborative learning approach is modelled on traditional approaches to teaching and learning world music styles, adapted to the realities of the western classroom by expert Andy Gleadhill.
In traditional cultures learning is based on following the leader and by repeated “doing”. There is generally no written notation but the music tends to be easy to remember and basic instrumental techniques are simple, and so there are no major barriers to learning. Learning takes place in groups, usually of mixed ability. The playing also has an important social function – for accompanying ceremonies or events – and it’s very much a cooperative effort.
Translated to the classroom this results in a teaching and learning approach which is:
Collaborative – the class or group is engaged in an activity in which everyone – teacher and pupils – work together and help one another to achieve a common goal: the performance of a piece of music.
Inclusive – the musical styles are “foreign” and there’s no notation – so they present a level playing field where less academically able pupils are not disadvantaged. And there are easy and more difficult parts in every piece and so players of every ability can be involved and stay engaged throughout – no-one gets left out.
Accessible – the instruments are all easy to play and most pupils will be able to make a good sound after just one lesson, and the whole class will be making an impressive sound together after just a couple of lessons. It’s possible to include all sorts of “disabilities” and we’re always ready to advise on particular cases – contact us.
And the net result of accessibility, inclusivity and collaboration is something quite spectacular – extraordinarily fast progress. Nothing succeeds like success and after just a few lessons most classes will develop a genuine “esprit de corps” and you really will be seeing and hearing performance-level playing within a terms worth of lessons.
But the benefits are not just musical – the collaborative approach and the intensive listening and cooperation involved also develop pupils (and teachers!) life skills and so you’ll see a wide range of improved social and personal skills and a general improvement in “team spirit” and togetherness.
Professionally produced performances of all ten Caribbean Steel Pan tunes in Andy Gleadhill’s Caribbean Steel Pan Book.
The audio files can be downloaded here for free.
The .zip file contains all eighteen audio files.
- ZIP: Andy Gleadhilll's Caribbean Steel Pan Book Audio Support (33 MB)
- MPEG: Day O - Full Version - Track 1 of 18 (2 MB)
- MPEG: Guantamera - Full Version - Track 2 of 18 (3 MB)
- MPEG: Peanut Vendor - Full Version - Track 3 of 18 (1 MB)
- MPEG: Tequila - Full Version - Track 4 of 18 (2 MB)
- MPEG: Rau Dona Margarida - Full Version - Track 5 of 18 (3 MB)
- MPEG: Saints - Full Version - Track 6 of 18 (1 MB)
- MPEG: Day O - Minus Melody - Track 7 of 18 (2 MB)
- MPEG: Guantamera - Minus Melody - Track 8 of 18 (3 MB)
- MPEG: Peanut Vendor - Minus Melody -Track 9 of 18 (1 MB)
- MPEG: Tequila - Minus Melody from Andy Gleadhill's Caribbean Steel Pan Book. Track 11 of 18 (2 MB)
- MPEG: Rau Dona Margarida - Minus Melody -Track 11 of 18 (3 MB)
- MPEG: Saints - Minus Melody - Track 12 of 18 (1 MB)
- MPEG: Day O - Minus Melody and Accompaniment - Track 13 of 18 (2 MB)
- MPEG: Guantamera - Minus Melody and Accompaniment - Track 14 of 18 (3 MB)
- MPEG: Peanut Vendor - Minus Melody and Accompaniment - Track 15 of 18 (1 MB)
- MPEG: Tequila - Minus Melody and Accompaniment - Track 16 of 18 (2 MB)
- MPEG: Rau Dona Margarida - Minus Melody and Accompaniment - Track 17 of 18 (3 MB)
- MPEG: Saints - Minus Melody and Accompaniment - Track 18 of 18 (1 MB)
Andy Gleadhill’s African Drumming Book 2
- Stock: 14
Andy Gleadhill’s African Drumming Book 1
- Stock: 19
Andy Gleadhill’s Class Percussion Book
- Stock: 9
Andy Gleadhill’s Composing with World Music Book
- Stock: 20
Jonathan Kirby’s Taiko Drumming Book
- Stock: 5
Andy Gleadhill’s Indonesian Gamelan Book
- Stock: 18
Andy Gleadhill’s Percussion Buddies Book
- Stock: 21
Andy Gleadhill’s Brazilian Samba Book
- Stock: 26